Champions
of our time

Champion defined.
- 18 majors
- 78 victories

Charge defined.
- 2 majors
- 88 victories
- 331 weeks as #1

Creativity and
imagination defined.
- 5 majors
- 62 victories

Golfer defined.
- Grand slam
- Augusta founder
- Amateur

The Majors

World championship defined.
- The Grand and Old
- Everyone invited

Major championship defined.
Most consistently producing
true champions.

tisdag, april 19, 2005

Equipment (configuration)

I do think that having a set of golf clubs made for YOU is a good thing. I had a pretty bad experience spending 3-4 years with off-the-shelf equipment. When I eventually made it to see a clubfitter I found out that the lies were completely off and that the shafts were not correct for me - lengthwise or regarding stiffness.

It was not that the clubfitter "sold me" the idea of my clubs being off measure. It was a combination of seeing a good instructor and a clubfitter in the same time. I understood that I badly needed to do something - which I did.

It came out nicely. I am tall and my shafts are now extended by a full 1.25 inch. Thats A LOT. And the lie was adjusted by 4 degrees. Thats also A LOT.

Some of you reading this may say that's just too much. I don't know. So far my results have been really good. I am not saying that I will never go back to standard length clubs, though. It may happen any day. But for now I stick with it.

The really bad part of having clubs with incorrect lie is that the lie will cause your swing to change. Since I had clubheads 4 degrees flatter than I should, I eventually developed a very flat swing to accomodate that. My experience was that I could not change my swing until my clubs were altered.

So: If I change my swing significantly again, I might change my clubs too.